"The song tells a miraculous tale: a little girl prays before she goes to bed that God send her some "scarlet ribbons" for her hair. Her father happens to peek in her room and hears his daughter praying to God for the ribbons. Since it is very late, no stores are open in their town, nor is there anywhere the father can obtain the ribbons for his Daughter, before she wakes up. He is very distraught throughout the night, worrying. Just before dawn he again peeks in his daughter's room only to be amazed that lying on her bed are many beautiful "scarlet ribbons". He states that if he lives to be 100, he will never know from where the ribbons came."
I searched in vain on YouTube and Itunes to find the version that I remember Mom playing. It was a female voice. Does anyone remember who sang that?
I don't remember who sang this, but I have the sheet music! Mom loved this song and I remember someone singing it for ward Christmas parties.
ReplyDeleteThe songs I most remember hearing at home was "For Unto Us a Child is Born" and "White Christmas" Now when I perform these each year I always think of Mom!
That is so funny Andy....Scarlett Ribbons was my favorite as well!!! I well remember all the christmas records on the stereo. I looked it up and there are lots of people who have sung it..but Patti Paige was the only woman i found. I listened to several versions, but none sound the same as I remember.
ReplyDeleteScarlet Ribbons was sung by Patti Page. They dubbed her voice so she sang the melody and the harmony. I was hoping that Evelyn and Susan Gibson would sing it at a Ward Social. They practiced a whole lot with the record. I don't remember if they actually did it. Or was it Evelyn and Kellie.
ReplyDelete