I am not very good at hiding the truth very often. If we don't have money for stuff I usually let the fact be known, so when Christmas comes around and we are not doing well money wise I usually tell the kids not to expect much. I remember that phrase often at home growing up especially at Christmas time but I was always suprised when Santa managed to find our house anyway.
I remember one Christmas in particular when a family came to our home and gave each of the kids a present. I hate the idea that perhaps we were somebody's "project" but I do remember like it was yesterday my happiness at getting the biggest of all the presents. I was so selfish that I don't even know if Mom and Dad got one or not. But mine was the Beverly Hillbillies car complete with grandma sitting in the rocking chair at the top.
I am thankful that Mom and Dad always seemed able to make it a very merry Christmas.
Thursday, December 17, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
We were not someone's 'project'. But a family by the name of Spring, wanted to buy gifts for a family in the ward that had a lot of kids and wouldn't be getting a ton of toys. The teenage daughter was the moving force behind the whole thing. She loved all our little kids. Low and behold they came on Christmas morning with wonderful gifts for all of you. It was so fun for us but I know it was fun for their two kids who had the idea and got to choose each gift.
ReplyDeleteParents preparing their children that the upcoming Christmas was going to be a lean one seems to be eternal. I remember being told that by my mom and dad some years. When I was in the 1st grade living in Sells on the Indian Reservation, we had what was probably a scarce year, but all I remember is getting an ironing board and iron to go with my doll, so great!!I was in heaven.
ReplyDeleteThose years we lived in Roosevelt were among the most lean for us. But we were grateful that dad could get a job for the month of December to pay for Christmas. One year at a fast food hamburger place...not Mc Donalds or Mr. Bee..Then two years playing Santa at Lord and Taylors , a very exclusive store. Their Santa Suit was the BEST. That is probably the one that was sitting on a chair that Evelyn remembers. He did borrow one once to play Santa at a party his job held for orphans.