Sunday, November 22, 2009

peanuts

I remember well mom eating peanuts to stay awake while driving across the country, until mom ended up giving the peanuts back all at once, while we stopped or so quickly at a rest area. Not sure if mom has had peanuts ever since

4 comments:

  1. A bag of peanuts and a gallon of water was Mom's down fall. I've often heard Steve teasing her about that one. Wasn't that on the way from Tucson to California to see Aunt Mary?
    Here are some other great car trip memories from Mom. Mom singing to herself to keep awake--"Henrietta, don't you freta."
    Or stopping a stranger in Colonia Juarez to get directions, mom talked very loudly and slowly since he certainly wouldn't speak English.
    "DO Y-OU KN-O-W WHE-RE THE JOHN-SONS LI-VE?" and the guy answers in fluent English, very quickly I might add.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't remember this 'getting directiions' experience. But I'm a little surprised that one of you hasn't mentioned the Carthage jail episode. I thought is was perfectly proper and certainly helpful to stop and ask for directions when we got to the area. Many missionaries mulling around. So I addressed one of them "Brother", can you tell....... You all died and slunk down in your seats and laughed at me forever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know why I kept stuffing down peanuts. I do remember being very sleepy. Thank goodness for a handy garbage can.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mom, when I was originally writing about getting directions I started telling the Hey Brother comment. But I realized I was mixing up Nauvoo with Colonia Juarez. Then I thought one embarrassing story per post was enough, but now that you bring it up yourself... We did all die of embarrassment.

    ReplyDelete