This picture is from 1967, so predates the househunting. I loved this tent. It seemed so huge to me and I loved laying out all the sleeping bags and making room for 9 people in one tent. It's hard to imagine everyone fitting in there. It brings back great memories of playing games, eating birdseed on the dreaded hike on Sunday and playing flashlight tag at night. I used to hide with Evelyn so I wouldn't be scared in the dark. That was a great game until someone ran smack dab into Dad and ended all our fun!!Monday, November 23, 2009
camping mom
This picture is from 1967, so predates the househunting. I loved this tent. It seemed so huge to me and I loved laying out all the sleeping bags and making room for 9 people in one tent. It's hard to imagine everyone fitting in there. It brings back great memories of playing games, eating birdseed on the dreaded hike on Sunday and playing flashlight tag at night. I used to hide with Evelyn so I wouldn't be scared in the dark. That was a great game until someone ran smack dab into Dad and ended all our fun!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I loved this picture - I have no pictures of that great tent. I also remember it being such a big one. I bet Ruth must have helped me in my morning job of fixing all the sleeping bags. We had 4-5 laying down one side, and i would go through and fold them each in half so there would be a walkway...then the other side was mom and dad's air mattress and at their feet was a bed made of blankets where the youngest kids slept.
ReplyDeleteWe loved climbing into mom and dad's soft bed in the mornings after they got up to start the fire and breakfast.
Is that the same tent that Jeff inherited years later? If so, we used it on West Mountain one night. After collapsing under a heavy downpour during our Father-Son campout, I was left alone in the one part that didn't completely cave in. Everyone else escaped during the night to sleep in the dry, warm house in Payson. -Rex
ReplyDeleteI believe that was the last night for the tent. We sowed in new mesh for the windows and zippers. However, each side had to be tied to a tree or else. Come to think of it, we may have used that tent in Flagstaff for a month before we found a house to rent. It, the tent,is now retired.
ReplyDeleteWe were really happy that we could finally get a big family tent where we all had a place to sleep. Jeff and Lisa did inherit the tent when we downsized. I was amazed that Lisa figured out how to sew (sow?) new windows. I never could have done that. The reason the tent needed new windows: we had camped in New Mexico on our way to AZ. The wind was terrible that night. We had to tie the tent down, stableizing it to the car, trees, and whatever. As it was we were nearly blown away. The windows and door were shreaded./
ReplyDelete