Friday, December 11, 2009

Fond Memories of the LONG drive to Arizona!

What great memories (mostly great) I have of all those long trips in the van and station wagon to grandma and grandpa's home in Tucson. I don't know how mom was able to keep all of us 7 kids occupied and from each other's throats for such a long trip! We enjoyed mom's games of ABC, I Spy, Bingo, who can find... etc....remember the gift box we got that had presents in it that we could unwrap each day? One time it was tootsie pops, and then the sliding hand held toys and even balloons that we blew up and then put up on the ceiling of the van in front of the vent and they would blow all over! How did mom/dad see in the review mirror? Who could forget all the roadside rest areas where we had to haul all the food in and out of the van for the meals? We were so glad when dad built that cabinet for the van so that food could be stored inside and the top a bed that we all tried to have a turn to lay down on and then the rest of us played or slept on the floor! Wow....no seatbelts back then! Of course who could forget all the singing! What wonderful memories! Thanks mom for helping us kids learn to enjoy our surroundings and each other!

1 comment:

  1. If I remember correctly every time we stopped all the boys would get out our mits and play catch, no matter how long we stopped. I do remember Dad telling us not to get out the mits as he was only going to be a minute. That did not work, much to his dismay.

    ReplyDelete