Sunday, November 29, 2009

Sunday Movies and Caramel Popcorn

Once a year, the movie Ten Commandments would come on TV. Another movie I remember coming on once a year that we would watch was Ben Hur. The plot to Ben Hur was confusing and I didn't understand what we were watching except for the chariot racing scene that we all thought was spectacular and the battle ships at sea with the rowers who had to speed up or die when the soldier yelled "ramming speed" and the drummer beat the drum even faster. But anyway, those movies came on TV on Sunday evenings. That meant family movie night and we really looked forward to the occasion. It usually meant caramel popcorn too! And we loved the caramel popcorn that mom made. Nice and gooey and it was especially good when still warm. One thing I remember was Mom would make it in the sink. I guess the idea was that "why mess up multiple large bowls and have to clean them, when you could use the sink.

Speaking of the sink, that's where little children got bathed also. Easier on Mom's back, I guess. Maybe some of you older children remember the sink doubling as the tub.

5 comments:

  1. Carmel popcorn in the sink! That is the only way I make it too.....when Cameron and Kyle and Danny first saw me doing that they thought it was disgusting....but after explaining that I cleaned the sink really well first....then when they saw how messy it got pouring on the hot carmel sauce....then it finally made sense to them. Yummy stuff!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ramming speed joke: The guy who yelled out the speed for the drummer told the rowers that he had good and bad news. The good news was that there was not fighting today so all would not die when they sunk. Bad news was that the General wanted to go skiing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was lots of fun until Andy had a chat with Brother and found out their family didn't watch TV on Sundays. Andy suggested we adopt that policy. It was hard to argue against the idea, but I knew I was really going to miss Sunday movies. We came to a compromise, however. If it was something the whole family wanted to watch together it would be okay. Eventually the entire family became interested in NFL and Yankee games!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved the Carmel Popcorn movies and have carried on the tradition in our family. I have fond memories of pushing the limit on what was just the "right" amount of carmel popcorn in our bowls before Mom thought we were being pigs!

    We make it in the sink and the kids all enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The bathing of children in the kitchen sink was a lot of fun. And I wasn't stuck in a bathroom somewhere. Note: the bathing and making carmel corn were not successive activities.

    ReplyDelete