Wednesday, November 25, 2009
Christmas Stockings
Not my day to add....but nonetheless....I am getting out all my Christmas stuff and remembering the Christmas stockings...once they were filled up...didn't they just get laid out on the couch? With a big orange in the toe and lots of nuts....don't remember ever getting any little gifts or anything inside...Didn't we just use one of dad's old long socks! Just fruit and nuts is what I remember....then I think we just put everyone's fruit and nuts all back into a big bowl....probably back where they were to begin with! ha ha
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
We would all go to the 'sock drawer' and choose a sock. We each tried to find the biggest sock we could! I remember getting the fruit and the nuts...but also chocolate kisses, because i would peel all the kisses and then crack a bunch of peanuts and walnuts and eat them all together!
ReplyDeleteAll I remember was dad going right for the orange at the bottom of the sock, and finding all kinds of nuts I did not know existed. Our tradition of exchanging socks has limited the amount of nuts that you needed a tool/nutcracker to open.
ReplyDeleteMy kids can't believe we used mismatched socks for stockings. It's become a funny story...
ReplyDeleteWe would try and find the biggest sock we could find. I don't remember being too excited about the stocking. I went straight for Santa's gift and only went for the stocking when Mom would insist. Only then could we move on to the rest of the gifts.
ReplyDeleteWe continued the stocking tradition that our (DE)busby did. No such thing as big felt or fancy ones then. We did choose the biggest stretchiest one we could find. we never got gifts in our stockings
ReplyDeletewe were really excited about big naval oranges
Santa stuffed the stockings full of fruit, nuts,candy of tasty shapes and sizes. We didn't have a mantle to hang them from in my early growing up homes. We did in our own family some times. But when they were stuffed full they were too heavy to thumbtack back up. So we layed them on the couch.
we